A strong partnership among CSU, JPL, and Blue Canyon Technologies
Focused Study of Rapid Convective Processes
- Makes measurements in quick succession using 8 passive microwave sensors in a single orbital plane.
- Measures the evolution of water vapor and
precipitation over 21—28 minutes.
- Investigates relationship between water vapor and deepconvection in the tropics and mid-latitudes.
- Addresses a “most important” science question from the2017 Earth Science Decadal Survey:
- Why do convective storms, heavy precipitation, and clouds occur exactly when and where they do?
- Based on successful TEMPEST-D mission from NASA’s Earth Venture Technology Program
- TEMPEST-D met all requirements on schedule and budget
- Uses proven flight system from TEMPEST-D
- Maintains same core team and partnerships as TEMPEST-D